Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Michael Armstrong and Mandurah Bolt Supplies.

Good evening all

Tuesday this week I was out playing golf at The Sanctuary in Bunbury, whilst driving the cart between hits the phone rang and an acquantance of mine from Mandurah Bolt Supplies, Chris was on the phone talking to me.
Now not many of you know but another toy of mine is a Fusion coloured CV8Z Monaro, when I brought it Mandurah Holden had a set of number plates with CV8 Monaro on them, I idolised those plates but refused to pay the 5k they wanted for them, so one day while walking into Mandurah Bolt Supplies out of the corner of my eye I spied a number plate that said CV8-Zed,
they were out of place as they were on a VY SS ute, wandering over I saw Chris and we had a chat about how those plates really should change hands and go onto my Monaro, after 12 months of intense negotiation we agreed a very reasonable price and started the process of changing the plates over, so Chris had phoned me to tell me he had handed the plates in and had handed in the transfer and soon they would be mine, whilst chatting on the phone Chris mentioned our new Limited Sprintcar web site and said how the committee were doing a good job in getting the club out into the public eye.
I had to ask Chris how he got to the web site and he started to tell me about his previous sponsorships.
I already knew Chris had sponsored the Blackman team a couple of years ago but had no idea Chris used to help out Wayne Armstrong when he was down Waroona way.
Chris told me he was putting a package together to help Michael Armstrong, Wayne's son, so I thought as I had said I would start writing on this blog site about some of our drivers and cars Michael would be a good starting point.

So firstly my apologies to the Armstrongs and Rick if I make any errors but here is what I think is right.
Michael first started racing in Carnarvon in a Mini, he did this for a season and then stopped racing until the 08/09 season.
After Wayne's tragic death at the end of the 07/08 season the car Wayne planned to make a comeback in was sitting until Michael was convinced/decided to get it ready to race on the night of the Limited Sprintcar State Title.
Michael had his arm twisted while watching the Australian Title at Kwinana.
Mick Doble supplied a motor for the car and off to the Geraldton track they went on the Friday before the meeting so Michael could have some laps before the race meeting.
On the night of the State Title Michael ran 3 races with another non qualifier to get his hand/eye in and then came out the following night for the meeting that honours his late father Wayne.
There were 20 cars running that night and Michael finished a creditable 8th.
This was enough to get the bug into Michael's system and this coming season he intends to run a few more meetings, he will do a Fast Friday, the 2 night state title and 3 meetings in Geraldton culminating in the "Wayne Armstrong Cup" where he will be much better prepared than last year having 3 or 4 meetings under his belt.
Michael has not had to do much work to the car for this year, he has got a hand me down motor from Caroline, it has been rebuilt for the season and based on Caroline's car speed last season it should be a very quick combination.

Michael would like to thank his sponsor Chris from Mandurah Bolt Supplies for his help in the coming season ahead, and I would also like to say if you need bolts talk to Chris at Mandurah Bolt supplies, Chris has a full list of sprintcar bolts if you need a bolt kit put together thanks to Norbert,who put it together for me to give to Chris.
Michael would also like to thank Mick Doble who goes above and beyond to help out fellow racers to ensure we get cars onto the track each and every week.

Michael also wants to especially thank Carol, Caroline, Rick Sawyer and his wife Vanessa who help put the package together to get him on the track, the Armstrong's are a real Racing Family who could have given it all away after Waynes passing but have continued doing what they love.
Good luck in the season ahead Michael.

Maybe I can get Caroline on the phone next week and see how her car is progressing, rumour has it the car will sport a flash motor from the USA when it hits the track this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be displayed immediately as all comments will be reviewed for suitability by our moderators prior to allowing public display.