Monday, December 14, 2009

Another great weekends racing completed.

Good evening all,

Well another two meeting weekend has come and gone.

First we ran the Fast Friday meeting at Kwinana.
We ran 2 heat races and the feature race.

First heat we ran with the 320's starting from the front, we were supposed to start 200m behind the 320's but Michael Armstrong was too keen and only sat back about 50m, Martin in confusion signalled for me to move up with Michael and the green flag dropped, what was I to do but get on the gas and go hard, I had rounded up all but two of the 320,s coming out of turn 2 and had past them before turn 3, I had the race shot to pieces and with 3/4 of a lap to go I went to go around a 320 putting him 2 laps down, he went high and the old Crabbe returned, tail tank blindness I call it, this is where you just sit on their tail and not make a decision to go high or low, as we ran through turn 3 with the checkered flag insight Mick Doble ran under me to greet the flag, it has to be the easiest win he ever had.

The rest of the night was a blur of changing car setups and chasing a set up that would hook the car up, in the feature we had the car handling not bad but suffered from the car jumping out of gear 10 or so times, it stayed in if I ran at half throttle so that was where we stayed, Michael Armstrong was unlucky not to get past me, each time he pulled off a pass he had the ambers come on and was relegated back behind me.
Gavin flipped out in the feature and Todd struggled with engine gremlins.
Mick Doble took out first place after I went down and gave him some set up advice, should have listened to my own advice as he was hooked up and quick beating the 360's as well.

Saturday night and off to Bunbury we went.
Todd was out again hoping they had resolved the mechanical gremlins that had plagued him Friday night. Michale Armstrong was there as was Shane Webster and Peter Wodj.
Heat one was a runaway win by me with a car that was fast and hooked up.
Going into heat 2 with confidence high I was given a set up lesson by Rick Sawyer and a driving lesson by Michael Armstrong, they had an underpowered car running on rails and they drove into the distance, before the race I joked with Michael about where he was going to pull over to let me pass, it was nearly a case of where I was going to pull over to be lapped by Michael.
So before heat 3 we had a team meeting, looking at how we had missed the setup for heat 2 and we decided to make some wholesale changes to the car.
Todd discovered a cam lobe was gone and his night was done.
Heat 3 and again we had the car hooked up, however Michael with his engine running down on power but all of what was left was getting to the track was quick but could not get past me but he did give it a few goes.

So into the feature we went, Michael and I off half a lap, Shane Webster off 1/4 lap and Peter (Alias Greg) off the front with a 410 alongside him.
Prior to the start we worked out a cunning plan on where we would start from, it is obvious that as we came off turn 2 the front runners had to be coming off turn 4 so as we came off turn 2 I gassed it up and started the long haul over 10 laps to run in the front cars, Peter Wodj (Greg) had other ideas, he jumped the start to show the 410 he meant business, the yellows came on and we reformed, I thought that was it and Michael would come out of turn 2 on full noise to negate any advantage that I had previously, but he was struggling to see the lead cars and missed the start, I ran as hard as I could with a car that had no tyres left and not much side or forward bite, after 8 laps I had the lead cars a straight in front of me but the checkered flag came out and it was all over, I did not even see the white flag get waved to us.
So I ran first for the night, but the most impressive thing was to see the 3 new guys and how fast they were getting their cars to go, Wodj (Greg) excepted has a lot of experience, but after a lot of years enjoying the spoils of "Champion Shed Racer" he is back and keen on revenge against all you people who crowned him "Champion Shed Racer". We are looking for a new King of the shed racers as I write this so to all you not on the track yet beware.
Michael looks the goods for a big year but the motor he is using still needs some fine tuning.
Shane Webster has the smallest horsepower motor in the division but is showing some good turns of speed.

Catch you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will not be displayed immediately as all comments will be reviewed for suitability by our moderators prior to allowing public display.